A Base Station Centralized Simple Clustering Protocol for Sensor Networks
Sensor nodes in wireless sensor network are severely energy-constrained. This has been a key factor to limit its performance. So far, many energy-efficient routing protocols have been proposed. Cluster-based routing protocols have been paid much attention because of their advantages. However, the cluster-based routing protocols require information on the locations of the sensor nodes in the network to construct clusters. Due to cost, it is not feasible to know the locations of all sensor nodes in the network. In this paper, we propose a base station centralized simple clustering protocol (BCSP) which requires no location information of the sensor nodes. Instead, BCSP utilizes information on the remaining energy of each sensor node and the number of cluster heads which is changed depending on the circumstance of the sensor network. From performance experiments, BCSP shows better performance than low-energy adaptive clustering hierarchy (LEACH).
KeywordsSensor Network Sensor Node Wireless Sensor Network Cluster Head Head Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A.P., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: Proc. 33rd Hawaii International Conf. System Sciences (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Heinzelman, W.R., Kulik, J., Balakrishnan, H.: Adaptive Protocols for Information Dissemination in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. 5th Annual international Conf. Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 174–185 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed Diffusion: A Scalable and Robust Communication Paradigm for Sensor Networks. In: Proc. 6th Annual International Conf. Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 56–67 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.The MIT uAMPS ns Code Extensions Version 1.0, http://www-mtl.mit.edu/research/icsystems/uamps/research/leach/leach_code.shtml
- 9.Pamplin, J.A.: NS2 Leach Implementation, http://www.internetworkflow.com/reso//urces/ns2_leach.pdf