Modeling Asymmetric Slot Allocation for Mobile Multimedia Services in Microcell TDD Employing FDD Uplink as Macrocell
This paper introduces an analytical approach which is provided to calculate the downlink and uplink capacities of the time division duplex (TDD) system utilizing the underused frequency division duplex (FDD) uplink which shares the same frequency band. Then the ratio of downlink and uplink slots in one frame is adjusted, so as to prevent the radio resource waste due to asymmetric traffic characteristic in mobile multimedia services. The computer simulation shows that the resource waste problem can be considerably solved through the asymmetric slot allocation. Thus, this paper can be useful as a guideline in the course of planning a two-layer hierarchical cell structure (HCS) employing the TDD system as a microcell and FDD system as a macrocell as well as a mean to increase the performance of such a system.
KeywordsMobile Station Time Division Duplex Resource Waste Frequency Division Duplex Uplink Capacity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.3GPP TSG-Radio Access Network Meeting #13 RP-010660, Beijing, (September 18-21, 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, L.L., Wang, S.X., Sun, X.Y.: Dynamic Resource Allocation for Multimedia CDMA Wireless System with Downlink Beamforming and Power Control. In: Proceedings of Wireless and Optical Communications (WOC 2003) (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.De Hoz, A., Cordier, C.: W-CDMA Downlink Performance Analysis. In: IEEE VTC 1999-Fall, vol. 2, pp. 968–972. The Netherland, Amsterdam (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Jia, Y., Hara, Y., Hara, S.: Performance of TDD-SDMA/TDMA System with Multi-Slot Assignment in Asymmetric Traffic Wireless Network. In: PIMRC 2002, September 15-18 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Haas, H., Povey, G.J.R.: A Capacity Investigation on UTRA-TDD Utilising Underused UTRA-FDD Uplink Resources, UMTS Terminals and Software Radio (Ref. No. 1999/055), IEE Colloquium on, pp. 7/1–7/6 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Holma, H., Toskala, A.: WCDMA for UMTS. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.3GPP TSG-Radio Access Network Work Item Description Sheet after meeting #26 Active WIs (January 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, J.S., Miller, L.E.: CDMA Systems Engineering Handbook. Artech House Publisher (1998)Google Scholar