A Framework for Managing the Solution Life Cycle of Event-Driven Pervasive Applications
Event-driven, embedded applications that embody the composition of many disparate components are emerging as an important class of pervasive applications. For such applications, realizing solutions often requires a breadth of expertise. Consequently, managing the solution life cycle can be a very complex, time-intensive process. In this paper, we present a framework that eases the complexity of managing the life cycle of event-driven, pervasive solutions. We call this framework Rapid Integrated Solution Enablement or RISE. Component composition and software reuse are two central concepts of RISE, where solutions are graphically composed from reusable components using a visual editor. We describe the RISE architecture and discuss an initial prototype implementation that leverages open source technologies, such as Eclipse. Additionally, we illustrate the efficacy of RISE with an example solution for RFID supply chain logistics.
KeywordsEclipse Modeling Framework Execution Engine Library Server Integrate Development Environment Open Service Gateway Initiative
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Agha, G.: Actors: A Model of Concurrent Computation in Distributed Systems. MIT Press, Cambridge (1986)Google Scholar
- 3.Agha, G.: Abstracting Interaction Patterns: A Programming Paradigm for Open Distributed Systems. In: Najm, E., Stefani, J.-B. (eds.) Formal Methods for Open Object-based Distributed Systems, IFIP Trans., Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, E.A., Neuendorffer, S.: Concurrent Models of Computation for Embedded Software. In: IEE Proc. Comp. and Dig. Tech. (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, E.A.: Computing for Embedded Systems. In: IEEE Instr. and Meas. Tech. Conf., Budapest, Hungary, May 21-23 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, E.A., et al.: Ptolemy II Domains UC Berkeley vol. 3 (2005), http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu
- 9.Lee, E.A., Xiong, Y.: A Behavioral Type System and Its Application in Ptolemy II. Formal Aspects of Computing Journal, special issue on Semantic Foundations of Engineering Design Languages 16(3) (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.OSGi Alliance, OSGi Service Platform, Release 3 Specification (March 27, 2003), http://www.osgi.org