Securing Internet Gateway Discovery Protocol in Ubiquitous Wireless Internet Access Networks
Ubiquitous wireless Internet access networks (UWIANs) integrate mobile ad hoc networks into the Internet to achieve ubiquitous Internet connectivity. The Internet connectivity is provided by Internet gateways in the UWIANs. Most of the Internet connectivity research has not considered a malicious environment. However, UWIANs will not be able to succeed without an effective security solution due to wireless links and energy constraints. Thus, security is a critical factor to the success of ubiquitous Internet connectivity. In this paper, we propose a secure Internet gateway discovery protocol in order to provide the secure Internet connectivity. A registration mechanism is also proposed to secure a foreign network and an ad hoc mobile node when it connects within the network. The efficiency of the protocol is shown via simulation.
KeywordsMobile Node Packet Delivery Ratio Malicious Node Route Discovery Pause Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.AODV+: The Network Simulator: Contributed Code, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-contributed.html
- 2.Park, B., Lee, W.: ISMANET: A Secure Routing Protocol using Identity-based Signcryption Scheme for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks. IEICE Transaction on Communications E88-B(6) (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Tuch, B.: Development of WaveLAN, and ISM Band Wirelees LAN. AT&T Tech. H. 82(4), 27–33 (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Xie, B., Kumar, A.: A Framework for Integrated Internet and Ad hoc Network Security. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Computer Communication, Egypt, June 2004, pp. 318–324 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Perkins, C.E.: IP Mobility Support. RFC 3311 in IETF (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Belding-Royer, E.M., Sun, Y., Perkins, C.E.: Global Connectivity for IPv4 Mobile Ad-hoc Network. IETF Internet-Draft, draft-royer-manet-globlav4-00.txt (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Lopez, J., Dahab, R.: Performance of Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems. Technical Report IC-00-08 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Fall, K., Varadhan, K. (eds.): ns Notes and Documentation (2003), available from http://www.isi.edu/nanam/ns/
- 10.Ratanchandani, P., Kravets, R.: A hybrid approach to Internet connectivity for mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC) 2003 (March 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Wakikawa, R., Maline, J.T., Perkins, C.E., Nilsson, A., Tuominen, A.H.: Global Connectivity for IPv6 Mobile Ad-hoc Networks. IETF Internet-Draft, draft-wakikawa-manet-gflobalv6-03.txt (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Jonsson, U., Alriksson, F., Larsson, T., Johnasson, P., Maguire, G.Q.: MIPMANET: Mobile IP for Mobile Ad-hoc Network. In: Proceedings of the First Annual Workshop on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking & Computing (MobiHoc), August (2000)Google Scholar