Real-Time Embedded System for Rear-View Mirror Overtaking Car Monitoring
The main goal of an overtaking monitor system is the segmentation and tracking of the overtaking vehicle. This application can be addressed through an optic flow driven scheme. We can focus on the rear mirror visual field by placing a camera on the top of it. If we drive a car, the ego-motion optic flow pattern is more or less unidirectional, i.e. all the static objects and landmarks move backwards while the overtaking cars move forward towards our vehicle. This well structured motion scenario facilitates the segmentation of regular motion patterns that correspond to the overtaking vehicle. Our approach is based on two main processing stages: first, the computation of optical flow using a novel superpipelined and fully parallelized architecture capable to extract the motion information with a frame-rate up to 148 frames per second at VGA resolution (640x480 pixels). Second, a tracking stage based on motion pattern analysis provides an estimated position of the overtaking car. We analyze the system performance, resources and show some promising results using a bank of overtaking car sequences.
KeywordsOptical Flow Motion Estimation Optical Flow Field Optical Flow Algorithm Alert Signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dagan, E., Mano, O., Stein, G.P., Shashua, A.: Forward collision warning with a single camera. In: IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 14-17, pp. 37–42 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Mota, S., Ros, E., Díaz, J., Tan, S., Dale, J., Johnston, A.: Detection and tracking of overtaking cars for driving assistance. Early Cog. Vision Workshop, Isle of Skye, Scotland, UK, 28 May- 1 June (2004), (http://www.cn.stir.ac.uk/ecovision-ws/schedule.php). Google Scholar
- 4.Mobileye N.V. Blind Spot Detection and Lane Change Assist (BSD/LCA), http://www.mobileye.com/general.shtml
- 5.Volvo BLIS system.Weblink: http://www.mynrma.com.au/blis.asp
- 6.Ficosa Digital blind spot detector, http://www.ficosa.com/eng/home_noticiaseventos.htm
- 8.Lucas, B., Kanade, T.: An Iterative Image Registration Technique with Applications to Stereo Vision. In: Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop, pp. 121–130 (1981)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, H.C., Hong, T.S., Herman, M., Camus, T., Chellappa, R.: Accuracy vs. Efficiency Trade-offs in Optical Flow Algorithms. CVIU 72(3), 271–286 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Dellaert, F., Thorpe, C.: Robust car tracking using Kalman filtering and Bayesian templates. In: Proceedings of SPIE: Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 3207 (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.Celoxica company. Web site and products information available at, www.celoxica.com
- 18.Dept. of predevelopment EE-11, Hella KG Hueck & Co., Germany, www.hella.de