Predictive Text Fitting
A new predictive text fitting algorithm is introduced in this paper. Through this algorithm, the ideal font size of given text content can be efficiently determined to fit the text into frames of arbitrary shapes. After trying out the initial font size, the algorithm measures a fit factor based on ratio of the area used and the area needed. Then it predicts the next font size according to the fit factor, and it also adjusts the key model parameter based on previous iterations. Compared with methods that change the font size at fixed amount each time or use predetermined models, the advantages of this algorithm include fast convergence, as well as insensitivity to text placement engine and initial values of parameters. This algorithm has a number of potential applications, such as variable data printing, multimodal publishing, and adaptive graphic presentation.
KeywordsShape Description Text Content Font Size Fixed Quadratic Model Digital Publishing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cedar, C.A., Rhoten, M.P.: Method and System for Automatically Causing Editable Text to Substantially Occupy a Text Frame. US Patent 6,256,650 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.World Wide Web Consortium: XSL Specification, http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl
- 5.Apache Software Foundation: FOP Project, http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html
- 6.Lin, X.: Intelligent Content Fitting for Digital Publishing. In: Proceedings of SPIE Digital Publishing Conference, San Jose, CID: 60760J (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Vondran, G.L., Chao, H., Lin, X., Joshi, P., Beyer, D., Atkins, C.B., Obrador, P.: Auto-mated Campaign System. In: Proceedings of SPIE Digital Publishing Conference, San Jose, CID: 607605 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Lin, X.: Active Layout Engine: Algorithms and Applications in Variable Data Printing. Computer-Aided Design (2006)Google Scholar