Experimental Study of Evolutionary Based Method of Rule Extraction from Neural Networks in Medical Data
In the paper the method of rule extraction from neural networks based on evolutionary approach, called GEX, is presented. Its details are described but the main stress is focussed on the experimental studies, the aim of which was to examine its usefulness in knowledge discovery and rule extraction for classification task of medical data. The tests were made using the well-known benchmark data sets from UCI, as well as two other data sets collected by Lower Silesian Oncology Center.
KeywordsNeural Network Knowledge Discovery Rule Extraction Default Rule Cervix Uterus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lu, H., Setiono, R., Liu, H.: Neurorule: A connectionist approach to datamining. In: Proc. 21st Conference on very Large Databases, Zurich (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Taha, I., Ghosh, J.: Symbolic interpretation of artificial neural networks. Technical report, The Computer and Vision Research Center, University of Texas, Austin (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Thrun, S.B.: Extracting rules from artificial neural networks with distributed representation, advances. Neural Information Processing Systems, 7 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Craven, M., Shavlik, J.: Extracting tree-structured representations of trained networks. In: Advances Information Processes Systems, vol. 8, MIT Press, Cambridge (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Francisci, D., Brisson, L., Collard, M.: A scalar evolutionary approach to rule extraction. Technical report, ISRN I3S/RR-200312-FR (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Fidelis, M., Lopes, H.S., Freitas, A.: Discovering comprehensible classification rules with genetic algorithm. In: Proc. Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2000), pp. 805–810 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Murphy, P.M., Aha, D.W.: UCI repository of machine learning databases. Ph.D thesis, Department of Information and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, CA (1998)Google Scholar