Accessibility Issues in Two Specifications for E-Learning Tests: IMS QTI 1.2 and IMS QTI 2.0
The IMS Global Learning Consortium developed the QTI (Question and Test Interoperability) specification to allow the exchange of question and test data, and their corresponding result reports, between learning systems. QTI 1.2 had some accessibility issues, as the VISUAL project discovered when transforming QTI tests into accessible HTML and voice user interfaces. Some problems were due to an insufficient mechanism to specify alternative text, other problems were due to the ambiguity of the intent of certain interaction types. QTI 2.0 solved the issue of alternative text, but the ambiguity with regard to the intent of interaction types was not sufficiently addressed.
KeywordsVisual Rendering Assistive Technology User Agent Alternative Assessment Accessibility Issue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.AERA, APA & NCME: Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing. Washington DC: American Educational Research Association, American Psychological Associations, National Council on Measurement in Education (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Barstow, C., McKell, M., Rothberg, M., Schmidt, C. (eds.): IMS Guidelines for Developing Accessible Learning Applications. White Paper (June 27, 2002), Available at http://www.imsglobal.org/accessibility/accv1p0/imsacc_guidev1p0.html
- 3.Chisholm, W., Vanderheiden, G., Jacobs, I. (eds.): Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 – W3C Recommendation (5-May-1999), Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT
- 4.Dardailler, D., Palmer, S.B., McCathieNevile, C. (eds.): XML Accessibility Guidelines – W3C Working Draft (October 3, 2002), Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xag-20021003
- 5.Dubinko, M., Klotz Jr., L.L., Merrick, R., Raman T.V. (eds.): XForms 1.0 – W3C Recommendation (October 14, 2003), Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xforms-20031014/
- 6.Jackl, A. (ed.): IMS AccessForAll Meta-data Best Practice and Implementation Guide. Version 1.0. Final Specification (July 12, 2004), Available at http://www.imsglobal.org/acclip/acclipv1p0/imsacclip_bestv1p0.html
- 7.Lay, S. (ed.): IMS Question and Test Interoperability Implementation Guide. Version 2.0. Final specification (January 24, 2005), Available at http://www.imsglobal.org/question/qti_v2p0/imsqti_implv2p0.html
- 8.Lay, S. (ed.): IMS Question and Test Interoperability Overview. Version 2.0. Final specification (January 24, 2005), Available at http://www.imsglobal.org/question/qti_v2p0/imsqti_oviewv2p0.html
- 9.Norton, M., Treviranus, J. (eds.): IMS Learner Information Package Accessibility for LIP Best Practice and Implementation Guide. Version 1.0. Final Specification (June 18, 2003), Available at http://www.imsglobal.org/acclip/acclipv1p0/imsacclip_bestv1p0.html
- 10.Sharpe, K., Earle, S.: Assessment, Disability and the Problem of Compensation. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education 25(2), 191–199 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Smythe, C., Shepherd, E., Brewer, L., Lay, S. (eds.): IMS Question and Test Interoperability: ASI Best Practice & Implementation Guide. Version 1.2. Final Specification (February 11, 2002), Available at http://www.imsglobal.org/question/v1p2/imsqti_asi_bestv1p2.html
- 12.Smythe, C., Shepherd, E., Brewer, L., Lay, S. (eds.): IMS Question and Test Interoperability: ASI Information Model Specification. Version 1.2. Final Specification (February 11, 2002), Available at: http://www.imsglobal.org/question/v1p2/imsqti_asi_infov1p2.html