The Role of Benchmarking in Concerted Actions to Increase Accessibility
This paper covers “soft measures” that can be used in a “stick and carrot” strategy to improve accessibility to web sites. Two examples of benchmarking are presented. The first is the benchmarking of 700 Norwegian public web sites that has been carried out three times the last years, giving experiences on how to carry out the analyses and how to use the results for awareness raising and stimulation to improvement. The second is the planned European Internet Accessibility Observatory, EIAO. This will be capable of large-scale web assessment and may speed up the effects of benchmarking as a tool for awareness raising.
KeywordsConcerted Action Awareness Raising Quality Mark Increase Accessibility Soft Measure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Snaprud, M.H., Ulltveit-Moe, N., Granmo, O.C., Rafoshei-Klev, M.E., Wiklund, A., Sawicka, A.: Quantitative assessment of public web sites Accessibility -Some early results, ETSI (2003), Accessibility for all http://www.etsi.org/cce/proceedings/7_3.htm
- 2.Snaprud, M.H., Aslaksen, F.: The European Internet Accessibility Observatory (EIAO) - Aspects of Internationalisation (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Craven, J., Snaprud, M.: Involving Users in the Development of a Web Accessibility Tool. Ariadne (44) (July 30, 2005), http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue44/craven/intro.html
- 4.Bühler, C., Heck, H., Perlick, O., Snaprud, M.: A Framework for Automated Web Accessibility Assessment. In: AAATE Conference 2005, Lille, 06.09.2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Ulltveit-Moe, N., Gjøsæter, T., Snaprud, M.H.: An open architecture for large scale monitoring of web accessibility (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Jansen, A., Ølnes, S.: Kvalitetsevaluering av offentlege nettstader - Kva er det vi evaluerer? Forvaltningsinformatisk notatserie 3/03 (Quality evaluation of public web sites – only in Norwegian) (2003), http://www.afin.uio.no/forskning/notater/3_03.pdf