A Study and Development of the Auditory Route Map Providing System for the Visually Impaired
These days, we are able to get updated visual map freely from web sites. However, auditory maps for the visually impaired were not able to get easily. So, we studied about the system which enables us to generate and provide the auditory map via Internet. In this paper, we described about the production rules of our auditory map. And, we also described about the questionnaire and two experiments to determine the information which was put into the map. The results of experiment suggested that it is important whether the subjects were able to find the point for changing their directions to reach to the destination. And we applied that suggestion to our prototype system. And, finally, we also described about the problems of our system and our future works.
KeywordsPrototype System Short Path Problem Check Point Cross Point Detail Part
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Google Maps (last access, 2006-01-20), http://maps.google.com/
- 2.Strothotte, T., Petrie, H., Johnson, V., Reichert, L.: MoBIC: user needs and preliminary design for mobility aid for blind and elderly travellers. In: The European Context for Assistive Technology, pp. 348–352 (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Adaptive Technology Consulting – A GPS system for the Blind (last access, 2006-04-15), http://www.adaptivetech.net/products/trekker.htm
- 4.Willis, S., Helal, S.: RFID Information Grid for Blind Navigation and Wayfinding. In: The Proceedings of the Ninth IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computers (ISWC 2005), pp. 34–37 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Eguchi, H.: The Study and Usage of Auditory Maps in Case of the Walk Training for the Visually Impaired. The History of Fukuoka National Rehabilitation Center for Persons with Visually Impaired in these 10 Years, pp.171–179 (in Japanese) (1979)Google Scholar
- 6.The Route Guidance (in Japanese) (last access, 2005-04-20), http://www.kotonavi.jp/index.html
- 7.Ienaga, T., Matsumoto, M., Toyoda, N., Kimura, Y., Gotoh, H., Shibata, M., Yasukouchi, T.: Travel Aid System with Auditory-map and Video Phone for the Visually Impaired. In: The 21st Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference (2006)Google Scholar