Smart Wheelchair Based on Ultrasonic Positioning System
We present a robot wheelchair based on a UPS (Ultrasound Positioning System) for the elderly or the disabled. The proposed robot wheelchair system, called Smart Wheelchair, is a standard powered wheelchair equipped with a laptop computer which supports a variety of GUIs (graphical user inter-faces) for the disabled and a micro-processor system equipped with UPS and external connectivity modules. The Smart Wheelchair incorporates state-of-the-art technology providing information about the location of the wheelchair based on its movement, which is beyond comparison to ordinary wheelchairs that have just one function: to move patients. The Smart Wheelchair can provide users with driving assistance and take over low-level navigation to allow the user to travel efficiently, safely and easily.
KeywordsGlobal Position System Mobile Robot Global Position System Receiver Absolute Position Ultrasonic Signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kim, J.H., Seong, P.H.: Experiments on Orientation Recovery and Steering of Autonomous Mobile Robot Using Encoded Magnetic Compass Disc. IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement 45(2), 271–274 (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Evans, A.G., Swift, E.R., Cunningham, J.P., Hill, R.W., Blewitt, G., Yunck, T.P., Lichten, S.M., Ron Hatch, R., Malys, S., Bossler, J.: The Global Positioning System Geodesy Odyssey Navigation. Journal of The Institute of Navigation 49(1), 7–33 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Wijesoma, W.S., Kodagoda, K.R.S., Balasuriya, A.P.: A laser and a Camera for Mobile Robot Navigation. In: 7th Int. Conf. on, Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, pp. 740–745 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Arai, Y., Sekiai, M.: Absolute Position Measurement System for Mobile Robot based on Incident Angle Detection of Infrared Light. In: Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 986–991 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Ghidary, S.S., Tani, T., Takamori, T., Hattori, M.: A New Home Robot Positioning System (HRPS) Using IR Switched Multi Ultrasonic Sensors. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 737–741 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, D.H., An, H.T., Baek, K.R., Lee, M.H.: A study on Resolution Enhancement in the Detection of Ultrasonic Signal. In: The KSAE Annual Fall Conference, pp. 95–102 (2003)Google Scholar