Hierarchical Hidden Markov Model for Rushes Structuring and Indexing
Rushes footage are considered as cheap gold mine with the potential for reuse in broadcasting and filmmaking industries. However, it is difficult to mine the “gold” from the rushes since usually only minimum metadata is available. This paper focuses on the structuring and indexing of the rushes to facilitate mining and retrieval of “gold”. We present a new approach for rushes structuring and indexing based on motion feature. We model the problem by a two-level Hierarchical Hidden Markov Model (HHMM). The HHMM, on one hand, represents the semantic concepts in its higher level to provide simultaneous structuring and indexing, on the other hand, models the motion feature distributions in its lower level to support the encoding of the semantic concepts. The encouraging experimental results on TRECVID′05 BBC rushes demonstrate the effectiveness of our approach.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Motion Feature Finite State Machine Semantic Concept Observation Sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Allen, B.P., Petrushin, V.A.: Searching for relevent video shots in bbc rushes using semantic web techniques. In: Proceedings of the TRECVID Workshops (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Foley, C., et al.: Trecvid 2005 experiments at Dublin City University. In: Proceedings of the TRECVID Workshops (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Snoek, C.G.M., et al.: The mediamill trecvid 2005 semantic video search engine. In: Proceedings of the TRECVID Workshops (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Ngo, C.W., et al.: Motion driven approaches to shot boundary detection, low-level feature extraction and bbc rush characterization. In: Proceedings of the TRECVID Workshops (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Xie, L., et al.: Learning hierarchical hidden Markov models for video structure discovery. Technical report, Columbia University (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Murphy, K., Paskin, M.: Linear time inference in hierarchical HMMs. In: Proceedings of Neural Information Processing Systems (2001)Google Scholar