A Dolev-Yao-Based Definition of Abuse-Free Protocols
We propose a Dolev-Yao-based definition of abuse freeness for optimistic contract-signing protocols which, unlike other definitions, incorporates a rigorous notion of what it means for an outside party to be convinced by a dishonest party that it has the ability to determine the outcome of the protocol with an honest party, i.e., to determine whether it will obtain a valid contract itself or whether it will prevent the honest party from obtaining a valid contract. Our definition involves a new notion of test (inspired by static equivalence) which the outside party can perform. We show that an optimistic contract-signing protocol proposed by Asokan, Shoup, and Waidner is abusive and that a protocol by Garay, Jakobsson, and MacKenzie is abuse-free according to our definition. Our analysis is based on a synchronous concurrent model in which parties can receive several messages at the same time. This results in new vulnerabilities of the protocols depending on how a trusted third party reacts in case it receives abort and resolve requests at the same time.
KeywordsOutput Port Input Port Trusted Third Party Secure Channel External View
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Asokan, N., Shoup, V., Waidner, M.: Asynchronous protocols for optimistic fair exchange. In: IEEE Symposium on Research in Security and Privacy, pp. 86–99 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Chadha, R., Kremer, S., Scedrov, A.: Formal analysis of multi-party contract signing. In: CSFW 2004, pp. 266–279. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Garay, J.A., Jakobsson, M., MacKenzie, P.: Abuse-free optimistic contract signing. In: Wiener, M.J. (ed.) CRYPTO 1999. LNCS, vol. 1666, pp. 449–466. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Kähler, D., Küsters, R.: Th. Wilke. A Dolev-Yao-based Definition of Abus-free Protocols. Technical report, IFI 0607, CAU Kiel, Germany (2006), Available from http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/reports/2006/0607.html
- 12.Kremer, S., Raskin, J.-F.: Game analysis of abuse-free contract signing. In: CSFW 2002, pp. 206–220. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2002)Google Scholar