Strategic Deontic Temporal Logic as a Reduction to ATL, with an Application to Chisholm’s Scenario
In this paper we extend earlier work on deontic deadlines in CTL to the framework of alternating time temporal logic (ATL). The resulting setting enables us to model several concepts discussed in the deontic logic literature. Among the issues discussed are: conditionality, ought implies can, deliberateness, settledness, achievement obligations versus maintenance obligations and deontic detachment. We motivate our framework by arguing for the importance of temporal order obligations, from the standpoint of agent theory as studied in computer science. In particular we will argue that in general achievement obligations cannot do without a deadline condition saying the achievement has to take place before it. Then we define our logic as a reduction to ATL. We demonstrate the applicability of the logic by discussing a possible solution to Chisholm’s paradox. The solution differs considerably from other known temporal approaches to the paradox.
KeywordsTemporal Logic Agent Theory Negative Condition Deontic Logic Validity Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alur, R., Henzinger, T.A., Kupferman, O.: Alternating-time temporal logic. In: FOCS 1997: Proceedings of the 38th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS 1997), pp. 100–109. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Broersen, J.M., Herzig, A., Troquard, N.: From coalition logic to stit. In: Proceedings LCMAS 2005. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Broersen, J.M., van der Torre, L.W.N.: Semantic analysis of chisholm’s paradox. In: Verbeeck, K., Tuyls, K., Nowe, A., Manderick, B., Kuijpers, B. (eds.) Proceedings of the 17th Belgium-Netherlands Artificial Intelligence Conference, pp. 28–34 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Dignum, F., Kuiper, R.: Obligations and dense time for specifying deadlines. In: Proceedings of thirty-First HICSS, Hawaii (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.van Eck, J.A.: A system of temporally relative modal and deontic predicate logic and its philosophical applications. Logique et Analyse 100, 339–381 (1982)Google Scholar