Solving the Balanced Academic Curriculum Problem with an Hybridization of Genetic Algorithm and Constraint Propagation
In this paper, we are concerned with the design of a hybrid resolution framework including genetic algorithms and constraint propagation to solve the balanced academic curriculum problem. We develop a theoretical model in which hybrid resolution can be achieved as the computation of a fixpoint of elementary functions. These functions correspond to basic resolution techniques and their applications can easily be parameterized by different search strategies. This framework is used to solve a specific problem and we discuss the experimental results showing the interest of the of the model to design such hybridizations.
KeywordsCSP genetic algorithms constraint propagation hybrid resolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Apt, K.R.: From chaotic iteration to constraint propagation. In: Degano, P., Gorrieri, R., Marchetti-Spaccamela, A. (eds.) ICALP 1997. LNCS, vol. 1256, pp. 36–55. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Burke, E.K., Elliman, D., Weare, R.F.: A hybrid genetic algorithm for highly constrained timetabling problems. In: Proc. of ICGA, pp. 605–610. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Castro, C., Manzano, S.: Variable and value ordering when solving balanced academic curriculum problems. In: Proceedings of 6th Workshop of the ERCIM WG on Constraints. CoRR cs.PL/0110007 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Focacci, F., Laburthe, F., Lodi, A.: Local search and constraint programming. In: Handbook of Metaheuristics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Gent, I., Walsh, T., Selman, B.: funded by the UK Network of Constraints., http://www.4c.ucc.ie/~tw/csplib/
- 12.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems (1975)Google Scholar
- 13.Jong, K.A.D.: An analysis of the behavior of a class of genetic adaptive systems. Phd thesis, University of Michigan (1975)Google Scholar
- 14.Lambert, T., Monfroy, E., Saubion, F.: Solving strategies using a hybridization model for local search and constraint propagation. In: Preneel, B., Tavares, S. (eds.) SAC 2005. LNCS, vol. 3897, Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar