Neural Network Implementation in Reprogrammable FPGA Devices – An Example for MLP
In the present paper an implementation of multilayer perceptron (MLP) in a new generation SRAM-FPGA device is discussed. The presented solution enables easy realization of MLP with arbitrary structure and calculation accuracy. The solution is based on utilization of the structural parallelism of the FPGA device and economical realization of individual neurons. A flexible and effective method has been applied for approximation of the nonlinear activation function by a series of linear segments. Selection mechanisms have been also introduced for a compromise between the amount of logical resources used and the network operation speed. Therefore the presented solution can be applied both for implementation of big networks in small FPGA devices and for implementation working in real time, for which high operation speed is required.
KeywordsActivation Function Synaptic Function Activation Block Hardware Resource Logical Resource
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chorti, A., et al.: An electronic system for simulation of neural networks with a micro-second real time constraint. In: American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings, USA, vol. 583, pp. 76–79 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Djones, L., Braun, A., Bodgan, M., Gerlach, J., Rosenstiel, W.: Synthesis of Embedded SystemC Design: A Case Study of Digital Neural Networks. In: Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition Designers’ Forum (DATE 2004), pp. 30248–30253. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.James-Roxby, P., Blodget, B.: Adapting constant multipliers in neural network implementation. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on FCCM. IEEE CS No. PR00871, pp. 335–336. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.James-Roxby, P., Blodget, B.: A study of high performance reconfigurable constant coefficient multiplier implementations. In: SPIE Proceedings, USA. 4212, pp. 150–161 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Restrepo, H.F., et al.: A networked FPGA-based hardware implementation of a neural network application. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on FCCM. IEEE CS No. PR00871, pp. 337–338. IEEE Comput. Soc., Los Alamitos (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang-Qinruo, Yi-Bo, Xie - Yun, Liu-Bingru: The hardware structure design of perceptron with FPGA implementation. In: SMC 2003-Conference-Proceedings. IEEE Cat. -No.03CH37483, vol. 1, pp. 762–767. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ (2003)Google Scholar