A Hierarchical Particle Swarm Optimization for Solving Bilevel Programming Problems
The bilevel programming problem (BLPP) has proved to be a NP-hard problem. In this paper, we propose a hierarchial particle swarm optimization (PSO) for solving general BLPPs. Unlike most traditional algorithms designed for specific versions or based on specific assumptions, the proposed method is a hierarchical algorithm framework, which solves the general bilevel programming problems directly by simulating the decision process of bilevel programming. The solving general BLPPs is transformed to solve the upper-level and lower-level problems iteratively by two variants of PSO. The variants of PSO are built to solve upper-level and lower-level constrained optimization problems. The experimental results compared with those of other methods show that the proposed algorithm is a competitive method for solving general BLPPs.
KeywordsBilevel Programming Bilevel Programming Problem Standard Particle Swarm Optimization Trust Region Algorithm Linear Bilevel Programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dempe, S.: Foundations of Bilevel Programming. In: Nonconvex optimization and its application, vol. 61, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Chiou, S.W.: Bilevel programming for the continuous transport network design problem. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 39, 383 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R., Shi, Y.: Swarm intelligence. Morgan Kaufmann Publisher, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Powell, D., Skolnick, M.M.: Using genetic algorithms in engineering design optimization with non-linear constraints. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, Los Altos, CA, Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Shi, Y., Eberhart, R.: A modified particle swarm optimizer. In: Proceedings of IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence 1998, pp. 69–73 (1998)Google Scholar