Initial Results of the Daily Quality Control of Medical Screen Devices Using a Dynamic Pattern in a Digital Mammography Environment
In digital mammography it is of utmost importance that the quality of screen devices is checked on a regularly basis. The EUREF guidelines propose to do this daily using the AAPMtg18-QC pattern. In this paper we report our initial results with the use of an alternative, recently developed, dynamic pattern (“MoniQA”) and a scoring scheme.
As soon as the observers are familiar with the procedure, the measurements are very stable and we could not observe big variations in the quality of the monitor. In order to control the intrinsic quality of the monitor, the number of quality control checks could thus be reduced. The global working condition (such as the ambient light level) is controlled as well with the proposed procedure and this may be of great interest, especially during the start-up of digital mammography (screening) units: it is very informative to trace the influences of different light sources (such as (occasional) viewing boxes).
KeywordsDigital Mammography Dynamic Pattern Achievable Score Corrected Score Screen Device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Samei, E., Badano, A., Chakraborty, D., Compton, K., Cornelius, C., Corrigan, K., Flynn, M.J., Hemminger, B., Hangiandreou, N., Johnson, J., Moxley, M., Pavlicek, W., Roehrig, H., Rutz, L., Shepard, J., Uzenoff, R., Wang, J., Willis, C.: Assessment of Display Performance for Medical Imaging Systems, Report of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) Task Group 18, April 2005. Medical Physics Publishing, Madison (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.European Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Mammography Screening, Addendum European Guidelines 3rd edn., Digital Mammography, Euref (November 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.DIN 6868-57-2001, Image quality assurance in x-ray diagnostics, Acceptance testing for image display devices. The German Standards Institution, Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V (February 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.SMPTE RP 133-1991, Specifications for Medical Diagnostic Imaging Test Pattern for Television Monitors and Hard-Copy Recording Cameras Google Scholar
- 5.Jacobs, J., Deprez, T., Rogge, F., Marchal, G., Bosmans, H.: Validation of a new dynamic pattern for daily quality control of medical screen devices. In: 91st Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the RSNA, McCormick Place, Chicago (November 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Jacobs, J., Deprez, T., Marchal, G., Bosmans, H.: MoniQA: A general approach to Monitor Quality Assurance. In: Proc. SPIE, vol. 6145 (2006)Google Scholar