Comparison Between Wolfe, Boyd, BI-RADS and Tabár Based Mammographic Risk Assessment
Mammographic risk assessment provides an indication of the likelihood of women developing breast cancer. A number of mammographic image based classification methods have been developed, such as Wolfe, Boyd, BI-RADS and Tabár based assessment. We provide a comparative study of these four approaches. Results on the full MIAS database are presented, which indicate strong correlation (Spearman’s > 0.9) between Wolfe, Boyd and BI-RADS based classification, whilst the correlation with Tabár based classification is less straight forward (Spearman’s < 0.5, but low correlations mainly caused by one of the classes).
KeywordsBreast Cancer Breast Cancer Risk Mammographic Density Percentage Density Expert Radiologist
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Boyd, N., Byng, J., Jong, R., Fishell, E., Little, L., Miller, A., Lockwood, G., Tritchler, D., Yaffe, M.J.: Quantitative classification of mammographic densities and breast cancer risk: results from the Canadian national breast screening study. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 87(9), 670–675 (1995)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Tabár, L., Tot, T., Dean, P.B.: Breast Cancer: The Art and Science of Early Detection with Mammography. Georg Thieme Verlag (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.ACR: Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS), 2nd edn. American College of Radiology, Reston (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Brisson, J., Diorio, C., Mâsse, B.: Wolfe’s parenchymal pattern and percentage of the breast with mammographic densities: redundant or complementary classifications? Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 12, 728–732 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Suckling, J., Parker, J., Dance, D., Astley, S., Hutt, I., Boggis, C., Ricketts, I., Stamatakis, E., Cerneaz, N., Kok, S., Taylor, P., Betal, D., Savage, J.: The mammographic image analysis society digital mammogram database. In: Excerpta Medica. International Congress Series, vol. 1069, pp. 375–378 (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Lowry, R.: KAPPA Calculator, http://faculty.vassar.edu/lowry/kappa.html (accessed 7/3/06)