Web Services for the DDSM and Digital Mammography Research
The Digital Database for Screening Mammography (DDSM) is an invaluable resource for digital mammography research. However, there are two particular shortcomings that can pose a significant barrier to many of those who may want to use the resource: 1) the actual mammographic image data is encoded using a non-standard lossless variant of the JPEG image format; 2) although detailed metadata is provided, it is not in a form that permits it to be searched, manipulated or reasoned over by standard tools. This paper describes web services that will allow both humans and computers to query for, and obtain, mammograms from the DDSM in a standard and well-supported image file format. Further, this paper describes how these and other services can be used within grid-based workflows, allowing digital mammography researchers to make use of distributed computing facilities.
KeywordsDigital Mammography Simple Object Access Protocol Digital Mammogram Portable Network Graphic Receiver Operating Char
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The ACR Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS). American College Radiology, 3rd edn. (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Christensen, E., Curbera, F., Meredith, G., Weerawarana, S.: Web Services Description Language (WSDL) 1.1. W3C Note, World Wide Web Consortium (March 2001); A W3C Recommendation for WSDL 2.0 is currently pending Google Scholar
- 3.Dasmahapatra, S., Hu, B., Lewis, P., Shadbolt, N.: Ontology-Based Medical Image Annotation with Description Logics. In: 15th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, Sacramento, CA, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Duce, D.: Portable Network Graphics (PNG) Specification. W3C Recommendation, World Wide Web Consortium, 2nd edn. (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Gudgin, M., Hadley, M., Mendelsohn, N., Moreau, J.-J., Nielsen, H.F.: SOAP Version 1.2 Parts. W3C Recommendation, World Wide Web Consortium (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Heath, M., Bowyer, K., Kopans, D., Moore, R., Kegelmeyer Jr., P.: The Digital Database for Screening Mammography. In: Yaffe, M.J. (ed.) Digital Mammography: IWDM 2000, 5th International Workshop, December 2001, pp. 212–218. Medical Physics Publishing, Madison (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Manola, F., Miller, E.: RDF Primer. W3C Recommendation, World Wide Web Consortium (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.McGuinness, D.L., van Harmelen, F.: OWL Web Ontology Language Overview. W3C Recommendation, World Wide Web Consortium (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Oinn, T., Greenwood, T., Addis, M., Alpdemir, M.N., Ferris, J., Glover, K., Goble, C., Goderis, A., Hull, D., Marvin, D., Li, P., Lord, P., Pocock, M.R., Senger, M., Stevens, R., Wipat, A., Wroe, C.: Taverna: Lessons in creating a workflow environment for the life sciences. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience Grid Workflow Special Issue (accepted, 2005)Google Scholar