Automated Detection Method for Architectural Distortion with Spiculation Based on Distribution Assessment of Mammary Gland on Mammogram
The clustered microcalcifications and mass are the important findings in interpreting breast cancer, architectural distortion on mammograms as well. We have developed the detection algorithm for distorted area based on concentration of mammary gland. The purpose of this study is to suggest the improvement of extraction method of mammary gland in order to achieve higher sensitivity. The mean curvature, and the combination of shape index and curvedness were performed for extracting of mammary gland in our previous methods. In our new method, the dynamic-range compression was added as the pre-processing before extracting mammary gland by mean curvature. The detection rate at initial pick-up stage was improved by this improvement. It was concluded that our detection method would be effective.
KeywordsMammary Gland Mammographic Density Concentration Index Shape Index Synthetic Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, J.A., Rosen, E.L., Lo, J.Y., et al.: Computer-aided detection (CAD) in screening Mammography: Sensitivity of commercial CAD systems for detection architectural distortion. AJR 181, 1083–1088 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Ayres, F.J., Rangayyan, R.M.: Detection of architectural distortion in mammograms using phase portraits. In: Medical Imaging 2004: Image Processing, Proc. of SPIE 2004, vol. 5370, pp. 587–597 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Tourassi, G.D., Floyd Jr., G.E.: Performance evaluation of information-theoretic CAD scheme for the detection of mammographic architectural distortion. In: Medical Imaging 2004: Image Processing, Proc. of SPIE 2004, vol. 5370, pp. 59–65 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Matsubara, T., Yamazaki, D., Hara, T., et al.: Automated detection of architectural distortions on mammograms. In: Proc. of 6th International Workshop on Digital Mammography, pp. 350–352 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Matsubara, T., Fukuoka, D., Yagi, N., et al.: Detection method for architectural distortion based on analysis of structure of mammary gland on mammograms. In: Proc. of CARS 2005, pp. 1036–1040 (2005)Google Scholar