Mammography Reading with Computer-Aided Detection (CAD): Performance of Different Readers
Computer-aided detection (CAD) systems place prompts in digital images to attract readers’ attention to potential malignancies. A reader must then decide whether or not prompted regions correspond to genuine abnormalities and has the option of disregarding falsely prompted regions. In this paper we investigate different readers’ performance with CAD in the context of breast screening. In a retrospective study, eight consultant radiologists each read over 1000 screening mammograms comprising normal cases, screen detected cancer cases and cases that were detected as cancers subsequently. We present their results in terms of cancer detection and recall rates, and relate this to their previous experience of film reading. Our results show that the detection of cancers did not differ significantly between readers, although more experienced film readers were less likely to recommend that normal cases should be recalled.
KeywordsNormal Case Recall Rate Breast Screening Cancer Detection Rate Single Reading
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burhenne, L.W., Wood, S., D’Orsi, C.J., Feig, S.A., Kopans, D.B., O’Shaughnessy, K.F., et al.: Potential contribution of computer-aided detection to the sensitivity of screening mammography. Radiology 215(2), 554–562 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Ciatto, S., Ambrogetti, D., Bonardi, R., et al.: Comparison of two commercial systems for computer aided detection (CAD) as an aid to interpreting screening mammograms. Radiol. Med (Torino) 107(5-6), 480–488 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Gilbert, F.J., Astley, S.M., McGee, M.A., Gillan, M.G.C., Boggis, C.R.M., Griffiths, P.M., Duffy, S.W.: Comparison of double reading and single reading with CAD in the UK NHS Breast Screening Program: Computer Aided Detection Evaluation Trial (CADET). Radiology (in press)Google Scholar
- 5.http://www.r2tech.com/mammography/home/index.php (accessed 10.02.06)
- 6.Astley, S., Quarterman, C., Al Nuami, Y., et al.: Computer-aided detection in screening mammography: the impact of training on reader performance. In: Pisano, E. (ed.) IWDM 2004, pp. 231–236 (2005)Google Scholar