Adapting a Captive Portal to Enable SMS-Based Micropayment for Wireless Internet Access
This paper introduces a micropayment mechanism suitable for Wireless Internet Access Providers. It is proposed that the users obtain the credentials that allow them to surf the web after sending a Premium-rated SMS, thus avoiding a direct payment relationship between the user and the WISP. Mobile users are familiar with Premium SMS and consider them a secure and convenient payment method, because of the existing trust relationship between users and Mobile Network Operators. A third party named SMSBroker that acts as intermediary between the MNO and the WISP is also required in practice. The concept has been implemented and tested in a real wireless access network.
KeywordsAccess Network Internet Access Wireless Access Network Mobile Network Operator Mobile Phone Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kniberg, H.: What makes a micropayment solution succeed. M. eng. thesis, KTH/Applied IT, Sweden (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Michel, T.: Common markup for micropayment per-fee-links. W3C Working Draft (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Droms, R.: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. RFC 2131 (Draft Standard) Updated by RFC 3396 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Potter, B., Fleck, B.: In: 802.11 Security. O’Reilly (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Fils, I.S.: Wifidog. Downloadable open source captive portal (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Flickenger, R.: Nocatauth: Authentication for wireless networks. O’Reilly Network (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Erle, S.: Nocatgw and nocatauth. Downloadable open source captive portal (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Battiti, R., Cigno, R.L., Sabel, M., Orava, F., Pehrson, B.: Wireless lans: From warchalking to open access networks. MONET 10(3), 275–287 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Infante, J., Oliver, M., Macian, C.: Wi-fi neutral operator: Promoting cooperation for network and service growth. In: ITS Conference on Regional Economic Development, Pontevedra, Spain (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Barcelo, J., Macian, C., Infante, J., Oliver, M., Sfairopoulou, A.: Barcelona’s open access network testbed. In: IEEE Tridentcom, Barcelona, Spain (2006)Google Scholar