On the Repeat-Annotated Phylogenetic Tree Reconstruction Problem
A new problem in phylogenetic inference is presented, based on recent biological findings indicating a strong association between reversals (aka inversions) and repeats. These biological findings are formalized here in a new mathematical model, called repeat-annotated phylogenetic trees (RAPT). We show that, under RAPT, the evolutionary process — including both the tree-topology as well as internal node genome orders — is uniquely determined, a property that is of major significance both in theory and in practice. Furthermore, the repeats are employed to provide linear-time algorithms for reconstructing both the genomic orders and the phylogeny, which are NP-hard problems under the classical model of sorting by reversals (SBR).
KeywordsEdge Label Xanthomonas Campestris Repeat Pair Repeat Subsequence Legal Reversal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Swidan, F., Rocha, E.P.C., Shmoish, M., Pinter, R.: An integrative method for accurate comparative genome mapping (submitted, 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Achaz, G., Boyer, F., Rocha, E.P.C., Viari, A., Coissac, E.: Extracting approximate repeats from large DNA sequences (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Kowalczykowski, S.C., Dixon, D.A., Eggleston, A.K., Lauder, S.D., Rehrauer, W.M.: Biochemistry of homologous recombination in Escherichia coli. Microbiol. Rev. 58, 401–465 (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Kaplan, H., Shamir, R., Tarjan, R.E.: Faster and simpler algorithm for sorting signed permutations by reversals. In: Proc. 8th Ann. Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 344–351 (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Bender, M., Ge, D., He, S., Hu, H., Pinter, R., Skiena, S., Swidan, F.: Improved bounds on sorting with length-weighted reversals. In: Proc. 15th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 912–921 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Caprara, A.: Formulations and hardness of multiple sorting by reversals. In: Proc 3th Ann. Int. Conf. on Computational Molecular Biology, pp. 84–93. ACM Press, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Moret, B., Wang, L., Warnow, T., Wyman, S.: New approaches for reconstructing phylogenies from gene order data. In: Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Intell. Syst. Mol. Biol., pp. 165–173 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Bourque, G., Pevzner, P.A.: Genome-scale evolution: Reconstructing gene orders in the ancestral species. Genome Res. 12(1), 26–36 (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Gonnet, G.H.: Handbook of Algorithms and Data Structures. International Computer Science Services (1983)Google Scholar