A Study of Optimal System for Multiple-Constraint Multiple-Container Packing Problems
The proposed research focuses on multiple-container packing problems with considerations of multiple constraints. The space utilization, stability, load bearing, and loading sequence of objects are also considered in order to make results more practicable. Clustering technology and genetic algorithm are combined to solve the proposed problems. At the beginning, clustering algorithm is applied to classify data objects into different groups with varied characteristics, such as dimension of objects, unloading sequence of objects, and capacity of containers. Then, genetic algorithm combines with heuristic rules is used to pack data objects into containers respectively. The stable packing, space utilization, unhindered unloading, and load bear limitation are the major considerations in this stage. A computer system based on the proposed algorithm was developed. Thousands of cases were simulated and analyzed to evaluate the performance of the proposed research and prove the applicability in real world.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Packing Problem Load Bearing Container Cost Heuristic Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lin, J.L., Chang, C.H.: Stability 3D container packing problems. In: The 5th Automation 1998 and International Conference on Production Research (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Lin, J.L., Chung, C.-H.: Solving Multiple-Constraint Container Packing by Heuristically Genetic Algorithm. In: The 8th Annual International Conference on Industrial Engineering – Theory, Applications and Practice, Las Vegas, U.S.A, November 10-12, 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Verweij, B.: Multiple destination bin packing. ALCOM-IT Technical Report (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Bellot, P., El-Beze, M.: A clustering method for information retrieval, Technical Report IR-0199. Laboratoire d’Informatique d’Avignon (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Boley, D.G., Gross, M., Han, R., Hastings, E.H., Karypis, K., Kumar, G., Mobasher, V.B., Moore, J.: Partitioning-Based Clustering for Web Document Categorization. DSSs Journal (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Dunham, M.: Data Mining: Introductory and Advanced Topics. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Yang, J.-Y.: A Study of Optimal System for Multiple-Constraint Multiple-Container Packing Problems, Master Thesis, Huafan University (2005)Google Scholar