Space-Time Code Designs Based on the Generalized Binary Rank Criterion with Applications to Cooperative Diversity
Li and Xia have recently investigated the design of space-time codes that achieve full spatial diversity for quasi-synchronous cooperative communications. They show that certain of the binary space-time trellis codes derived from the Hammons-El Gamal stacking construction are delay tolerant and can be used in the multilevel code constructions by Lu and Kumar to produce delay tolerant space-time codes for PSK and QAM signaling. In this paper, we present a generalized stacking criterion for maximal rank-d binary codes and develop new explicit constructions. We also present several multilevel space-time code constructions for certain AM-PSK constellations that generalize the recent Lu-Kumar unified construction. Following the approach by Li and Xia, we show that, if the binary constituent codes used in these AM-PSK constructions are delay tolerant, so are the multilevel codes, making them well-suited for quasi-synchronous cooperative diversity applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.El Gamal, H., Hammons, Jr., A.R.: On the design and performance of algebraic space-time codes for BPSK and QPSK modulation. IEEE Transactions on Communications (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Hammons Jr., A.R.: New AM-PSK Space-Time Codes Achieving the Rate-Diversity Tradeoff. In: International Symposium on Information Theory and Its Applications, Parma, Italy (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Hammons Jr., A.R.: On Space-Time Codes and Constellation Labelling. In: IEEE Information Theory Workshop , San Antonio, Texas (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Hammons Jr., A.R.: Space-Time Codes that Achieve the Rate-Diversity Tradeoff for Certain AM-PSK Modulations. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, March 2004 (to appear, 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Hammons Jr., A.R.: Space-Time Codes for Linearly Labelled PAM, PSK, QAM, and Related Constellations. IEEE Information Theory Transactions, August 2004 (submitted, 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Lu, H.-F.: Generalized Super-Unified Constructions for Space-Time Codes and their Subset-Subcodes that Achieve Rate-Diversity Tradeoff (preprint)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, Y., Xia, X.-G.: Full Diversity Distributed Space-Time Trellis Codes for Asynchronous Cooperative Communications (preprint)Google Scholar