Constructions of Complementary Sequences for Power-Controlled OFDM Transmission
We present constructions of polyphase sequences suitable for the use as codewords in orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) with strictly bounded peak-to-mean envelope power ratio (PMEPR). Our first construction establishes that each polyphase sequence of length 2 m lies in a complementary set, whose size depends on a special property of its associated generalized Boolean function. Thus we identify a large family of sequences with PMEPR at most 2 k + 1, where k is a non-negative integer. Our second construction yields sequences that lie in so-called almost complementary pairs and have PMEPR at most 3. A number of coding schemes for OFDM with low PMEPR is then presented. These schemes extend and complement previously proposed coding options.
KeywordsComplementary Sequence Complementary Pair OFDM Signal Code Option Restricting Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Parker, M.G., Tellambura, C.: A construction for binary sequence sets with low peak-to-average power ratio. Report No. 242, Department of Informatics, University of Bergen, Norway (2003), http://www.ii.uib.no/~matthew/
- 5.Nieswand, K.M., Wagner, K.N.: Octary codewords with power envelopes of 3*2m (1998), http://www.mathcs.richmond.edu/~jad/summer.html
- 6.Jones, A.E., Wilkinson, T.A.: Combined coding for error control and increased robustness to system nonlinearities in OFDM. In: Proc. of IEEE 46th Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC) (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Stinchcombe, T.E.: Aperiodic Autocorrelations of Length 2m Sequences, Complementarity, and Power Control for OFDM. PhD thesis, University of London (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.MacWilliams, F.J., Sloane, N.J.A.: The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes. North Holland Mathematical Library (1977)Google Scholar
- 11.Schmidt, K.U.: Complementary sets, generalized Reed–Muller codes, and power control for OFDM. IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory (submitted, 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Paterson, K.G.: Coding techniques for power-controlled OFDM. In: Proc. of IEEE Int. Symp. on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Commun (PIMRC), pp. 801–805 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Schmidt, K.U.: On cosets of the generalized first-order Reed–Muller code with low PMEPR. IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory (submitted, 2005)Google Scholar