Fencing the Open Fields: Empirical Concerns on Electronic Institutions (Invited Paper)
The regulation of multiagent systems may be approached from different stand-points. In this paper I will take the perspective of using a certain type of devices, electronic institutions, to regulate agent interactions. Furthermore, in this paper I am concerned with the tasks of design and construction of actual electronic institutions and I will explore some of the empirical aspects that one may encounter in such activities. More specifically, I will focus on those empirical aspects that are characteristic of electronic institutions rather than those that may be typical of multi–agent systems development in general or other types of software engineering. I use three examples of actual electronic institutions that show different and complementary features in order to motivate a number of distinctions that may be used to treat empirical features in a systematic way.
KeywordsMulti Agent System Multiagent System Software Agent Public Procurement Constitutive Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cuní, G., Esteva, M., Garcia, P., Puertas, E., Sierra, C., Solchaga, T.: Masfit: Multi-agent systems for fish trading. In: 16th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2004), Valencia, Spain (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Esteva, M.: Electronic Institutions: from specification to development. Number 19 in IIIA Monograph Series. PhD Thesis (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.March, J.G., Simon, H.A.: Organizations. John Wiley and sons, New York, USA (1958)Google Scholar
- 4.Noriega, P.: Agent-Mediated Auctions: The Fishmarket Metaphor. Number 8 in IIIA Monograph Series. PhD Thesis (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.North, D.C.: Institutions, Institutional change and economic performance. Cambridge Universisy press, 40 west 20th Street, New York, NY 10011-4211, USA (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.Robles, A., Noriega, P.: A framework for building EI-enabled intelligent organizations using MAS technology. In: Proceedings of the Third European Conference on Multiagent Systems. EUMAS 2005, pp. 344–354 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Rodriguez-Aguilar, J.A.: On the Design and Construction of Agent-mediated Electronic Institutions. Number 14 in IIIA Monograph Series. PhD Thesis (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Simon, H.A.: The Sciences of the Artificial. MIT Press, Cambridge (1969)Google Scholar