A New Method for Finding Approximate Repetitions in DNA Sequences
Searching for approximate repetitions in a DNA sequence has been an important topic in gene analysis. One of the problems in the study is that because of the varying lengths of patterns, the similarity between patterns cannot be judged accurately if we use only the concept of ED ( Edit Distance ). In this paper we shall make effort to define a new function to compute similarity, which considers both the difference and sameness between patterns at the same time. Seeing the computational complexity, we shall also propose two new filter methods based on frequency distance and Pearson correlation, with which we can sort out candidate set of approximate repetitions efficiently. We use SUA instead of sliding window to get the fragments in a DNA sequence, so that the patterns of an approximate repetition have no limitation on length. The results show that with our technique we are able to find a bigger number of approximate repetitions than that of those found with tandem repeat finder.
KeywordsTandem Repeat Edit Distance Edit Operation Frequency Vector Tandem Repeat Finder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.David, W.M.: Bioinformatics Sequence and Genome Analysis. Cold Spring Harbor Laborary Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.International Human Genome Sequencing Consortium. Initial sequencing and analysis of the human genome. Nature 409(15), 860–921 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.IBeleza, S., Alves, C., Gonzalez-Neira, A., Lareu, M., Amorim, A., Carracedo, A., Gusmao, L.: Extending STR markers in Y chromosome haplotypes. Int.J.Legal Med. 117(1), 27–33 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Young, D.R., Tun, Z., Honda, K., Matoba, R.: Identifying sex chromosome abnormalities in forensic DNA testing using amelogenin and sex chromosome short tandem repeats. J.Forensic Sci. 46(2), 346–348 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Moore, C.J., Daly, E.M., Tassone, F., et al.: The effect of pre-mutation of X chromosome CGG trinucleotide repeats on brain anatomy. Brain (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Landau, G.M., Schmidt, J.P.: An algorithm for approximate tandem repeats. In: Proc. Of the 4th Annual Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching, Italy, vol. 684, pp. 120–133 (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Gusfield, D.: Algorithms on string, trees and sequences. In: Computer science and computational biology, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Kahveci, T., Singh, A.K.: An efficient index strction of string databases. In: VLDB 2001, pp. 351–360 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, D., Wang, G., Wu, Q., Chen, B.: Finding LPRs in DNA sequence based on a new index SUA. In: BIBE 2005, pp. 281–284. IEEE Computer Science, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, D., Wang, G., Chen, B., Wu, Q., Wang, B., Han, D.: A new lightweight index SUA for biological sequence anlysis. J. Huazhong Univ. of Sci. & Tech. 33(12), 207–210 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Wang, D., Wang, G., Wu, Q., Chen, B.: Finding approximate repetitions in DNA sequence based on SUA. Technology Report (2005), http://mitt.neu.edu.cn