Extended Mumford-Shah Regularization in Bayesian Estimation for Blind Image Deconvolution and Segmentation
We present an extended Mumford-Shah regularization for blind image deconvolution and segmentation in the context of Bayesian estimation for blurred, noisy images or video sequences. The Mumford-Shah functional is extended to have cost terms for the estimation of blur kernels via a newly introduced prior solution space. This functional is minimized using Γ-convergence approximation in an embedded alternating minimization within Neumann conditions. Accurate blur identification is the basis of edge-preserving image restoration in the extended Mumford-Shah regularization. One output of the finite set of curves and object boundaries are grouped and partitioned via a graph theoretical approach for the segmentation of blurred objects. The chosen regularization parameters using the L-curve method is presented. Numerical experiments show that the proposed algorithm is efficiency and robust in that it can handle images that are formed in different environments with different types and amounts of blur and noise.
KeywordsPoint Spread Function Bayesian Estimation Image Restoration Degraded Image Blur Kernel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hadamard, J.: Lectures on the Cauchy Problem in Linear Partial Differential Equations. Yale University Press, New Haven (1923)Google Scholar
- 2.Tikhonov, A., Arsenin, V.: Solution of Ill-Posed Problems. Wiley, Winston (1977)Google Scholar
- 3.Geman, S., Geman, D.: Stochastic relaxation, gibbs distribution and the bayesian restoratio of images. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., 721–741 (1984)Google Scholar
- 7.Aubert, l., Kornprobst, P.: Mathematical problems in image processing: partical differential equations and the Calculus of Variations. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Blake, A., Zisserman, A.: Visual Reconstruction. MIT Press, Cambridge (1987)Google Scholar
- 14.Molina, R., Katsaggelos, A., Mateos, J.: Bayesian and regularization methods for hyperparameters estimate in image restoration. IEEE Tr. on S.P. 8 (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Kundur, D., Hatzinakos, D.: Blind image deconvolution. IEEE Signal Process. Mag., 43–64 (May 1996)Google Scholar
- 23.Shi, J., Malik, J.: Normalized cuts and image segmentation. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 888–905 (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 24.Perona, P., Freeman, W.T.: A factorization approach to grouping. In: Burkhardt, H., Neumann, B. (eds.) ECCV 1998. LNCS, vol. 1407, pp. 655–670. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar