A Multimedia Tool for English Learning Using Text Retrieval Techniques on DVD Subtitles
In this paper, a multimedia tool named Supplementary Multimedia Material Provider (SMMP) is proposed. To extract relevant sentences from subtitles of audiovisual, learners input keywords which enable that the sentence containing the target vocabulary repeatedly be exposed. The SMMP employs text retrieval techniques using vocabulary concept similarity measurement and followed by displaying the found sentences in various ways like text, audio and video clips. Since not every single movie covers the proper content for every viewer for the intention of learning. The SMMP also provides the lexical level and category statistical analysis for viewers. These analyses are very useful as the criteria for language learners in selecting appropriate movies as their learning materials.
KeywordsVideo Clip Language Learner English Learn Lexical Level Multimedia Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liou, H.C., Katchen, J.E., Wang, H.: Teaching a Listening and Speaking Course with DVD Films: Can It Be Done? Lingua Tsing Hua, pp. 221–236. Crane, Taipei (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Wible, D., Kuo, C.H., Chien, F.Y., Taso, N.L.: Automating Repeated Exposure to Target Vocabulary for Second Language Learners. In: IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, pp. 127–128 (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Baeza-Yates, R., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval. Addison- Wesley Inc., London (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Longman Lexicon of Contemporary English (English-Chinese). Longman PressGoogle Scholar
- 5.The Language Training & Testing Center in Taiwan, http://www.gept.org.tw/