A Teaching Strategies Engine Using Translation from SWRL to Jess
Within an intelligent tutoring system framework, the teaching strategy engine stores and executes teaching strategies. A teaching strategy is a kind of procedural knowledge, generically an if-then rule that queries the learner’s state and performs teaching actions. We develop a concrete implementation of a teaching strategy engine based on an automatic conversion from SWRL to Jess. This conversion consists of four steps: (1) SWRL rules are written using Protégé’s SWRLTab editor; (2) the SWRL rule portions of Protégé’s OWL file format are converted to SWRLRDF format via an XSLT stylesheet; (3) SweetRules converts SWRLRDF to CLIPS/Jess format; (4) syntax-based transformations are applied using Jess meta-programming to provide certain extensions to SWRL syntax. The resulting rules are then added to the Jess run-time environment. We demonstrate this system by implementing a scenario with a set of learning contents and rules, and showing the run-time interaction with a learner.
KeywordsTeaching Strategy Intelligent Tutoring System Rule Engine Automatic Conversion Ontology File
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Friedmann-Hill, E.: Jess in Action. Manning, Greenwich (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Grosof, B.N.: Building Commercial Agents: An IBM Research Perspective. IBM Research Report RC20835 (1997a)Google Scholar
- 3.Grosof, B.N., Gandhe, M.D., Finin, T.W.: SweetJess: Inferencing in Situated Courteous RuleML via Translation to and from Jess Rules (Unpublished working paper) (2003), http://ebusiness.mit.edu/bgrosof/#sweetjess-basic
- 4.Horrocks, I., Patel-Schneider, P.F., Boley, H., Tabet, S., Grosof, B., Dean, M.: SWRL: A Semantic Web Rule Language Combining OWL and RuleML. In: W3C Member Submission (2004), http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/
- 5.Protégé, http://protege.stanford.edu/
- 6.SweetRules, http://sweetrules.projects.semwebcentral.org/
- 7.Wang, E., Kim, S.A., Kim, Y.S.: A Rule Editing Tool with Support for Non-Programmers in an Ontology-Based Intelligent Tutoring System. In: Workshop on Semantic Web for E-Learning (SW-EL), 3rd Int’l. Semantic Web Conf. (ISWC), Hiroshima, Japan (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, E., Kim, Y.S.: Teaching Strategies Using SWRL. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (submitted, 2006); Revised version of: Wang, E., Kashani, L., Kim, Y. S.: Teaching Strategies Ontology Using SWRL Rules. In: Int’l. Conf. on Computers in Education (ICCE), Singapore (2005)Google Scholar