Evaluation of a System That Generates Word Problems Through Interactions with a User
In mathematical learning, it is important to give learners a number of problems that have various features in both surface problem situations and deep mathematical solution structures. In this study, we implement a system that generates various word problems by using episodes, which are knowledge regarded as cases of problem generation. Our system interacts with a teacher as a user to acquire the common knowledge needed to generate word problems. We performed experimental evaluations to verify problem generation by our system, with the results indicating that our system can successfully expand the variety of problems from the initial ones stored in the system. We also found that our system needs interactions with a knowledgeable user because novice users cannot necessarily provide the system with effective knowledge.
KeywordsWord Problem Initial Problem Problem Data Effective Knowledge Problem Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.English, L.D.: Children’s reasoning processes in classifying and solving computational word problems, Mathematical reasoning: Analogies, metaphors, and images, pp. 191–220. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Hirashima, T., Niitu, T., Hirose, K., Kashihara, A., Toyoda, J.: An Indexing Framework for Adaptive Arrangement of Mechanics Problems for ITS. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems E77-D(1), 19–26 (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Hirashima, T., Umeda, T., Takeuchi, A.: An Intelligent Problem-Sharing Environment on Web. In: Proceedings of ICCE 2001, pp. 449–456 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Kanenish, K., Hayashi, K., Mitsuhara, H., Yano, Y.: Drill Exercise Generation in WBT from Knowledge Based Components. Transactions of Japanese Society for Information and Systems in Education 20(2), 71–82 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Kojima, K., Miwa, K.: A System that Generates Word Problems Using Problem Generation Episodes. In: Proceedings of ICCE 2005, pp. 193–200 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Shirota, Y.: Web-Based Mathematical Learning Material Automatic Generation System for Economical Optimization Problems. Gakushuin Economics Papers 41(1) (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Takano, A., Hashimoto, J.: Drill Exercise Generation based on the knowledge base, IPSJ Technical Report, NL-160, 23-28 (2003)Google Scholar