Agility in the Avionics Software World
This paper takes a look at how XP and other agile practices can improve a software process for the development of avionics software. Developers of mission critical airborne software are heavily constrained by the RTCA DO-178B regulations . These regulations impose strict rules regarding traceability and documentation that make it extremely hard to employ an iterative software development process. In particular, the extra validation overhead increases the time spent on small iteration cycles (for example, a bug-fix) to several weeks.
Currently, this sector is also pressed to switch to a more agile, customer driven approach. In this paper we investigate how to speed up development and cope with changing requirements using agile techniques. The research was carried out in cooperation with Barco, a major Belgian avionics equipment supplier. We explain why certain agile techniques have less effect as the project progresses. We point out the stadia in which each XP practice is beneficial and where XP practices might cause a slowdown.
KeywordsSoftware Development Software Development Process Agile Method Pair Programming Software Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beck, K.: Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Beck, K., et al.: Manifesto for agile software development (2001), http://www.agilemanifesto.org
- 3.Boehm, B., Turner, R.: Balancing Agility and Discipline: A Guide for the Perplexed. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Boehm, B.W.: Software Engineering Economics. Prentice-Hall Advances in Computing Science & Technology Series (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.Cockburn, A.: Agile Software Development. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Kylmäkoski, R.: Efficient authoring of software documentation using RaPiD7. In: ICSE 2003: Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Software Engineering, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 255–261. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Manhart, P., Schneider, K.: Breaking the ice for agile development of embedded software. In: Proceedings of the 26th international conference on software engineering (ICSE) (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.RTCA. DO-178B: Software considerations in airborne systems and equipment certification (1992)Google Scholar