Optical Techniques for Local Measurement
- 1.5k Downloads
Optical measurement techniques are well suited to many heat transfer problems, insofar as they are non-contact and generally non-invasive. Far-field measurements of infrared thermal emission were for a long time the predominant method. But today these techniques have reached their limits: the spatial resolution is not adequate for micro and nanoheat transfer analysis.
In this Chapter, we shall review the main optical techniques devised recently to overcome these limitations. A great many of these techniques operate in a modulated regime, taking advantage of the excellent signal-to-noise ratio provided by lock-in detection, but also exploiting the spatial confinement of the modulated part of the heat obtained in the alternating regime.
Keywords65.80.+n 82.53.Mj 81.16.-c 44.10.+i 44.40.+a 82.80.Kq
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Dilhaire: D'eveloppement d'un interf'erom`etre laser tr`es haute r'esolution pour la caract'erisation de composants micro'electroniques, Ph.D. thesis, University of Bordeaux, France (1994) Google Scholar
- H. S. Carslaw, J. C. Jaeger: Conduction of Heat in Solids (Oxford University Press, Oxford 1993) Google Scholar
- A. Mandelis, P. Hess: Progress in photothermal and photoacoustic science and technology. Vol. 6, in Semiconductors and Electronic Materials, vol. PM74 (SPIE Press 1994) Google Scholar
- E. D. Palik: Handbook of Optical Constants, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A: Optics Image Science and Vision 1 (1984) pp. 1297–1297 Google Scholar
- R. Abid, F. Miserey, F. Z. Mezroua: Temperature effect on oxidized silicon reflectivity: Experimental determination of the relative sensitivity; Application to temperature non-contact measurements on the surface of a GTO thyristor in commutation, J. de Phys. III 6, 279–300 (1996) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- G. Tessier, A. Salhi, Y. Rouillard, F. Genty, J.-P. Roger, D. Fournier: Quantitative thermal imaging of GaInAsSb/AlGaAsSb laser diodes by thermoreflectance, presented at the ICPPP 13, Rio de Janeiro (2004) Google Scholar
- D. Royer, E. Dieulesaint, P. Leclaire: Remote sensing of the thickness of hollow cylinders from optical excitation and detection of lamb waves, in (IEEE Ultrasonics symposium, Montreal 1989) Google Scholar
- B. Cretin, D. Hauden: Joule displacement and thermoelastic microscopies of electronic components with optical probing, presented at the ESREF, Bordeaux (1989) Google Scholar
- B. Cretin, D. Hauden: Thermoacoustic scanning microscope using a laser probe, in (Ultrasonic Symposium 1984) Google Scholar
- W. Claeys, S. Dilhaire, E. Schaub: Laser probing techniques and methods for the thermal characterization of microelectronic components, in Thermal Management of Electronic Systems (Elsevier, Paris 1998) pp. 227–237 Google Scholar
- C. Pelissonnier-Grosjean, D. Fournier, A. Thorel: Thermal resistance of grain boundary interfaces in polycrystalline aluminum nitride, J. de Phys. IV 9, 201–206 (1999) Google Scholar
- J. Laconte, C. Dupont, A. Akheyar, J.-P. Raskin, D. Flandre: Symposium on Designe, Test, Integration and Packaging of MEMS and MOEMS (Cannes-Mandelieu 2002) Google Scholar