An Effective Source Code Review Process for Embedded Software
This paper discusses about the improvement of source code review process for embedded software development project, and also proposes an effective approach to source code review for embedded software. As the start point of the discussion, this paper firstly discusses the results of a survey we conducted of about 290 embedded software development projects in Japan from the viewpoint of quality. Next, this paper discusses the problems of current source code review process and the way for improvement of the process. In the discussion, we focus on quality characteristics in ISO/IEC9126 and apply this to our improved review process. That is, we propose a new review process which is based on selection of review target portion in the target source code and selection of the review check items. As for the selection of review check items, using the characteristics viewpoints in ISO/IEC9126, review check items are selected according to the target software features.
KeywordsSource Code Review Process Embed Software Code Review Quality Perspective
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC 9126-1,Product Quality –Quality Model, http://www.iso.org/
- 2.Lee, E.A.: Embedded Software. In: Advances in computers, vol. 56. Academic Press, London (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Poter, A., Sity, H., Toman, C.A.: An experiment to assess the cost-benefits of code inspections in Large Scale software decelopment. In: Proc. Third ACM SIFSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering. ACM Press, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Wheeler, D.A., Brykczynski, B., Alexandria, V.: Software Peer Reviews. In: Thayer, R. (ed.) Software Engineering Project Management, pp. 454–469. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Stalhane, T., et al.: Teaching the Process of Code Review. In: Proc. of ASWEC 2004, pp. 271–278. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.MISRA-C: 2004-Guidelines for the use of the C language in critical systems, http://www.misra.org.uk
- 8.Cannon, L.W., et.al.: Recommend C style and coding standards (1990), http://www.csl.cornell.edu/courses/ece314/tutorials/cstyle.pdf
- 9.Cannon, L.W., et al.: Recommended C Style and Coding Standards. Pocket reference guide. Specialized Systems Consultants (1991); Stallman, R., et al.: Updated version of ATT’s Indian Hill coding guidelines, GNU coding standards (2005), http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards