Analysis of an Artifact Oriented Test Process Model and of Testing Aspects of CMMI
The CMMI model for Software Engineering provides guidance for improving an organization’s processes and the ability to develop software systems. The CenPRA test process is a generic software testing model defined by selecting software testing “best practices”; it evolved over the last years and has been published in specific forums. The CenPRA test process, which defines a set of partially ordered activities and test artifacts, has been validated and improved based on the experience of its application at software development companies in Brazil. In this work we carried out an evaluation of the CenPRA test process under the perspective of CMMI. We evaluated essentially which aspects of CMMI are taken into account by the CenPRA test process. We also evaluate how the CenPRA model can be used to supplement software testing related aspects of CMMI. Our results pointed to improvements in the CenPRA test process, and also identify testing tasks and artifacts not considered by CMMI, which can significantly improve an organization testing practices.
KeywordsTest Item Generic Goal Process Area Test Execution Capability Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bueno, P.M.S., Crespo, A., Jino, M.: Analysis of an artifact oriented test process model and of testing aspects of ISO/IEC 15504, Technical Report, CenPRA (2006) Google Scholar
- 2.Burnstein, I. Suwanassart, T., Carlson, R.: Developing a Testing Maturity Model for Software Test Process Evaluation and Improvement. In: Proc. of Int. Test Conference (1996) Google Scholar
- 3.Crespo, Adalberto, N., Jino, Mario.: Processo de Teste de Software. Technical Report CenPRA (in Portuguese) (2005) Google Scholar
- 4.IEEE Std 829, IEEE Standard for Software Test Documentation. IEEE, New York (1998) Google Scholar
- 5.ISO/IEC 15504, The International Organization for Standardization and the International Electrotechnical Commission, ISO/IEC 15504 (2004) Google Scholar
- 7.Myers, G.J.: The Art of Software Testing. Addison-Wesley, New York (1979)Google Scholar
- 8.Paulk, M.C., Weber, C.V., Curtis, B., Chrissis, M.: The Capability Maturity Model - Guidelines for Improving the Software Process. In: CMU-SEI. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Rocha, A.R.C., Maldonadoe, J.C., Weber, K.C. (eds.): Qualidade de Software: Teoria e Prática. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Salviano, C.F.: Introdução à melhoria de processo de software com ISO/IEC 15504 e CMMI, Technical Report CenPRA - TRT1351 (in Portuguese) Google Scholar
- 11.SEI, Web Site of the Software Engineering Institute – SEI, (CMMI documentation) (2005), http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/
- 12.SPICE, Web Site of the SPICE project (2005), http://www.sqi.gu.edu.au/spice/