From Petri Nets to Differential Equations – An Integrative Approach for Biochemical Network Analysis
We report on the results of an investigation into the integration of Petri nets and ordinary differential equations (ODEs) for the modelling and analysis of biochemical networks, and the application of our approach to the model of the influence of the Raf Kinase Inhibitor Protein (RKIP) on the Extracellular signal Regulated Kinase (ERK) signalling pathway. We show that analysis based on a discrete Petri net model of the system can be used to derive the sets of initial concentrations required by the corresponding continuous ordinary differential equation model, and no other initial concentrations produce meaningful steady states. Altogether, this paper represents a tutorial in step-wise modelling and analysis of larger models as well as in structured design of ODEs.
KeywordsModel Check Metabolic Network Extracellular Signal Regulate Kinase Biochemical Network Reachability Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Fieber, M.: Design und implementation of a generic and adaptive tool for graph manipulation (in German). Master thesis, BTU Cottbus, Dep. of CS (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Starke, P., Roch, S.: INA - The Intergrated Net Analyzer, Humboldt University, Berlin (1999), http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~starke/ina.html
- 10.Starke, P.H.: Some properties of timed nets under the earliest firing rule. In: Rozenberg, G. (ed.) APN 1989. LNCS, vol. 424, pp. 418–432. Springer, Heidelberg (1990)Google Scholar
- 11.Lautenbach, K.: Exact liveness conditions of a Petri net class (in German). Technical report, GMD Report 82, Bonn (1973)Google Scholar
- 15.Lonitz, K.: Hybrid Systems Modelling in Engineering and Life Sciences. Master thesis, Universität Koblenz-Landau (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Scheibler, D.: A software tool for design and simulation of continuous Petri nets (in German). Master thesis, BTU Cottbus, Dep. of CS (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Mendes, P.: GEPASI: A software package for modelling the dynamics, steady states and control of biochemical and other systems. Comput. Applic. Biosci. 9, 563–571 (1993)Google Scholar
- 20.Kolch, W.: Personal communication (2005)Google Scholar
- 22.Will, J., Heiner, M.: Petri nets in biology, chemistry, and medicine - bibliography. Technical Report 04/2002, BTU Cottbus, Computer Science (2002)Google Scholar
- 23.Calder, M., Gilmore, S., Hillston, J.: Automatically deriving ODEs from process algebra models of signalling pathways. In: Proc. Computational Methods in Systems Biology (CSMB 2005), LFCS, University of Edinburgh, pp. 204–215 (2005)Google Scholar