On the Notion of Value Object
It is increasingly recognized that business models offer an abstraction that is useful not only in the exploration of new business networks but also for the design and redesign of operational business processes. Among others, they can be used as input for a risk analysis that is crucial in cross-organizational business process design. However, the notion of value object is up till now not clearly defined. In this paper we investigate the notion of value, value objects and the activities involved when transferring value objects between business actors. We illustrate the proposed value object model by applying it on the well-known conference case.
KeywordsBusiness Process Business Model Steering Committee Class Diagram Activity Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bergholtz, M., Grégoire, B., Johannesson, P., Schmitt, M., Wohed, P., Zdravkovic, J.: Integrated Methodology for linking business and process models with risk mitigation. In: Proc. REBNITA 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Dietz, J.L.G.: Enterprise Ontology – theory and methodology. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Gordijn, J., Akkermans, H., van Vliet, H.: Value based requirements creation for electronic commerce applications. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Hawaii International Conference On System Sciences. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.McCarthy, W.E.: The REA Accounting Model: A Generalized Framework for Accounting Systems in a Shared Data Environment. The Accounting Review (1982)Google Scholar
- 8.Porter, M.: Competitive Advantage. Free Press, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 9.Schmitt, M., Grégoire, B.: Risk Mitigation Instruments for Business Models and Process Models. In: Proc. REBNITA 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Weigand, H., Johannesson, P., Andersson, B., Bergholtz, M., Edirisuriya, A., Ilayperuma, T.: Value Modeling and the transformation from value model to process model. In: Proc. INTEROP-ESA 2006 (fc) (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Yu, E.: Modelling Strategic Relationships for Process Reengineering. PhD thesis, University of Toronto, Department of Computer Science (1995)Google Scholar
- 14.Business Process Execution Language (BPEL) Resource Guide (accessed, November 2005), http://www.bpelsource.com/
- 15.Global Investor Glossary (accessed, November 2005), http://www.finance-glossary.com/pages/home.htm