A Comparison of Ada and Real-Time JavaTM for Safety-Critical Applications
Ada has long been used for developing safety-critical systems, and the upcoming Ada 2005 language revision extends this support. For various reasons Java has not been a serious choice in this domain. However, recent work based on the Real-Time Specification for Java promises to make Java technology a credible alternative. This paper discusses and compares Ada and the RTSJ with respect to the requirements for safety-critical systems, in particular how they can serve as the basis for subsets that can be used for developing safety-certified software.
KeywordsGarbage Collection Exception Handling Mission Phase Priority Inversion Ready Queue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.RTCA SC-167/EUROCAE WG-12. RTCA/DO-178B – Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification (December 1992)Google Scholar
- 2.The Motor Industry Software Reliability Association. MISRA-C:2004 – Guidelines for the use of the C language in critical systems (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Dibble, P., Belliardi, R., Brosgol, B., Holmes, D., Wellings, A.: Real-Time Specification for JavaTM, V1.0.1 (June 2005), www.rtsj.org
- 4.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 22/WG 9. Ada Reference Manual – ISO/IEC 8652:1995(E) with Technical Corrigendum 1 and Amendment 1 (Draft 13) – Language and Standard Libraries (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Handbook for Object-Oriented Technology in Aviation (OOTiA) (October 2004), www.faa.gov/air-craft/air-cert/design_approvals/air_software/oot
- 7.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 22/WG 9. ISO/IEC DTR 15942: Guide for the Use of the Ada Programming Language in High Integrity Systems (July 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Gosling, J., Joy, B., Steele, G., Bracha, G.: The Java Language Specification, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Poll, E., van den Berg, J., Jacobs, B.: Formal specification of the JavaCard API in JML: the APDU class. Computer Networks (Amsterdam, Netherlands: 1999) 36(4), 407–421 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Alves-Foss, J. (ed.): Formal Syntax and Semantics of Java. LNCS, vol. 1523. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Cai, H., Wellings, A.: A real-time Isolate specification for Ravenscar-Java. In: Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE International Symposium on Object-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (May 2004)Google Scholar