Parsing Korean Honorification Phenomena in a Typed Feature Structure Grammar
Honorific agreement is one of the main properties of languages like Korean or Japanese, playing an important role in appropriate communication. This makes the deep processing of honorific information crucial in various computational applications such as spoken language translation and generation. We argue that, contrary to the previous literature, an adequate analysis of Korean honorification involves a system that has access not only to morpho-syntax but to semantics and pragmatics as well. Along these lines, we have developed a typed feature structure grammar of Korean (based on the framework of HPSG), and implemented it in the Linguistic Knowledge Builder (LKB). The results of parsing our experimental test suites show that our grammar provides us with enriched grammatical information that can lead to the development of a robust dialogue system for the language.
KeywordsDeep Processing Lexical Information Complex Predicate Phrase Structure Grammar Object Agreement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chang, S.J.: Korean. John Benjamins, Amsterdam (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, D.Y.: Information-based processing of Korean dialogue with reference to English. Thaehak Publishing, Seoul (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Sohn, H.M.: The Korean Language. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Pollard, C., Sag, I.A.: Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. University of Chicago Press, Chicago (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, I., Ramsey, R.: The Korean Language. State University of New York Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, J.B., Yang, J.: Projections from morphology to syntax in the korean resource grammar: implementing typed feature structures. In: Gelbukh, A. (ed.) CICLing 2004. LNCS, vol. 2945, pp. 13–24. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, J.B.: Korean Phrase Structure Grammar. Hankwuk Publishing, Seoul (in Korean) (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Sells, P.: Structural relationships within complex predicates. In: Park, B.S., Yoon, J. (eds.) The 11th International Conference on Korean Linguistics, pp. 115–147. Hankwuk Publishing, Seoul (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Sung, W.K., Jang, M.G.: Seri test suites 1995. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Hanguel and Korean Language Information Processing (1997)Google Scholar