A Novel Fast Fuzzy Neural Network Backpropagation Algorithm for Colon Cancer Cell Image Discrimination
In this paper a novel fast fuzzy backpropagation algorithm for classification of colon cell images is proposed. The experimental results show that the accuracy of the method is very high. The algorithm is evaluated using 116 cancer suspects and 88 normal colon cells images and results in a classification rate of 96.4%. The method automatically detects differences in biopsy images of the colorectal polyps, extracts the required image texture features and then classifies the cells into normal and cancer respectively. The net function computation is significantly faster. Convergence is quicker. It has an added advantage of being independent of the feature extraction procedure adopted, with knowledge and learning to overcome the sharpness of class characteristics associated with other classifiers algorithms. It can also be used to resolve a situation of in-between classes.
KeywordsTexture Feature Cancer Image Gray Level Cooccurrence Matrix Feature Extraction Procedure Inverse Difference Moment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Souhami, R., Tobias, J.: Cancer And Its Management. Blackwell Pub. Co. Inc., USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Souhami, R., Tobias, J.: Cancer Statistics (2004), http://www.Cancer.Org; Downloaded on 4th April (2004)
- 3.Donna, L.H., Cohen, M.E.: Neural Network And Artificial Intelligent For Biomedical En-gineering. IEEE Press Series in Biomedical Eng. IEEE Press Inc., New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Nwoye, E., Dlay, S.S., Woo, W.L.: Fuzzy Neural Machine with Image Feature Extraction For Colorectal Cancer Diagnosis. In: IASTED Proceedings on Visualization, Imaging & Image Processing, pp. 304–308 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Nwoye, E., Dlay, S.S., Woo, W.L.: Texture Features for Cancerous Cell Image Classifica-tion Using Fuzzy Neural Technique. In: CSNDSP Proceedings, pp. 364–370 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Nixon, M.S., Aguado, A.S.: Feature Extraction & Image Processing, pp. 247–308. Newnes, Pub. Co., Oxford (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Tobias, O.J., Seara, R.: Image Segmentation by Histogram Thresholding Using Fuzzy Sets. IEEE Trans. on Image Processing 12(1), 1450–1456 (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Upper Saddle River. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River (2002)Google Scholar