A Framework for Exploring Gray Web Forums: Analysis of Forum-Based Communities in Taiwan
This paper examines the “Gray Web Forums” in Taiwan. We study their characteristics and develop an analysis framework for assisting investigations on forum communities. Based on the statistical data collected from online forums, we found that the relationship between a posting and its responses is highly correlated to the forum nature. In addition, hot threads extracted based on the proposed metric can be used to assist analysts in identifying illegal or inappropriate contents. Furthermore, members’ roles and activities in a virtual community can be identified by member level analysis.
KeywordsVirtual Community Online Forum Internet Forum Crime Investigation Bulletin Board System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wang, J.H.: Cyber Forensics – Issues and Approaches, book chapter in book: Managing Cyber Threats: Issues, Approaches and Challenge. In: Kumar, et al. (eds.). Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Mena, J.: Investigative Data Mining for Security and Criminal Detection. Butterworth Heinemann, Butterworth (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhou, Y., Reid, E., Qin, J., Lai, G., Chen, H.: U.S. Domestic Extremist Groups on the Web: Link and Content Analysis. IEEE Intelligent Systems, Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence for National and Homeland Security 20(5), 44–51 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, H.: The Terrorism Knowledge Portal: Advanced Methodologies for Collecting and Analyzing Information from the Dark Web and Terrorism Research Resources. Presented at the Sandia National Laboratories, August 14 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Tsfati, Y., Weimann, G.: Terror on the Internet, Studies in Conflict & Terrorism 25, 317-332 (2002), http://www.terrorism.com
- 7.Weimann, G.: How Modern Terrorism Uses the Internet, Special Report 116, U.S. Institute of Peace (2004), http://usip.org/pubs
- 8.Wang, J.H., et al.: A study of Automatic Search System on Cyber Crimes. Research Report to Telecommunication Bureau, Ministry of Traffic and Communication, Taiwan (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Spaceman (2001), http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32329
- 11.Bock, W.: Christmas, Communities, and CyberspaceGoogle Scholar