A Region-Based Image Enhancement Algorithm with the Grossberg Network
In order to enhance the contrast of an image, histogram equalization is wildly used. With global histogram equalization (GHE), the image is enhanced as a whole, and this may induce some areas to be overenhanced or blurred. Although local histogram equalization (LHE) acts adaptively to overcome this problem, it brings noise and artifacts to image. In this paper, a region-based enhancement algorithm is proposed, in which Grossberg network is employed to generate histogram and extract regions. Simulation results show that the image is obviously improved with the advantage of both GHE and LHE.
KeywordsGrey Level Transformation Function Histogram Equalization Adaptive Weight Adaptive Histogram Equalization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rosenfeld, A., Kak, A.C.: Digital Picture Processing, vol. 1. Academic Press, San Diego (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Russ, J.C.: The Image Processing Handbook, 2nd edn. CRC Press, Boca Raton (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Rehm, K., Dallas, W.J.: Artifact Suppression in Digital Chest Radiographs Enhanced with Adaptive Histogram Equalization. In: Proc. SPIE, vol. 1092, pp. 220–230 (1989)Google Scholar
- 8.Cromartie, R., Pizer, S.M.: Structure-sensitive Adaptive Contrast Enhancement Methods and Their Evaluation. Image and Vision Comput., 385 (1993)Google Scholar
- 10.Hagan, M., Demuth, H., Beale, M.: Neural Network Design. PWS Publishing, Boston (1996)Google Scholar