Skin-Color Based Human Tracking Using a Probabilistic Noise Model Combined with Neural Network
We develop a simple and fast human tracking system based on skin-color using Kalman filter for humanoid robots. For our human tracking system we propose a fuzzy and probabilistic model of observation noise, which is important in Kalman filter implementation. The uncertainty of the observed candidate region is estimated by neural network. Neural network is also used for the verification of face-like regions obtained from skin-color information. Then the probability of observation noise is controlled based on the uncertainty value of the observation. Through the real-human tracking experiments we compare the performance of the proposed model with the conventional Gaussian noise model. The experimental results show that the proposed model enhances the tracking performance and also can compensate the biased estimations of the baseline system.
KeywordsKalman Filter Noise Model Candidate Region Humanoid Robot Face Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Luo, R., Guo, Y.: Real-time Stereo Tracking of Multiple Moving Heads. In: IEEE ICCV Workshop, pp. 55–60 (2001)Google Scholar
- Kawato, S., Ohya, J.: Automatic Skin-color Distribution Extraction for Face Detection and Tracking. In: ICDSP 2000, vol. 2II, pp. 1415–1418 (2000)Google Scholar
- Grewal, M.S., Andrews, A.P.: Kalman Filtering: Theory and Practice Using Matlab. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2001)Google Scholar
- Klein, L.A.: Sensor and Data Fusion: A Tool for Information Assessment and Decision Making. SPIE Press (2004)Google Scholar
- Tomaz, F., Candeias, T., Shahbazkia, H.: Improved Automatic Skin Detection in Color Images. In: VIIth International Conference on Digital Image Computing, pp. 10–12 (2003)Google Scholar
- Rowley, H.A., Baluja, S., Kanade, T.: Human Face Detection in Visual Scenes. CMU-CS-95-158, Carnegie Mellon University (1955)Google Scholar
- Hsu, R.L.: Face Detection in Color Images. Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Michigan State University. MI 48824 (2004)Google Scholar
- Vezhnevets, V., Andreeva, S.A.: A Survey on Pixel-Based Skin Color Detection Techniques. In: Proc. Graphicon 2003, pp. 85–92. Moscow State University (2003)Google Scholar