A Method of Chinese Fax Recipient’s Name Recognition Based on Hybrid Neural Networks
A professional Chinese fax information processing system is designed which has functions to automate incoming fax distribution in a company or institution, read an incoming fax cover sheet and route the fax to the receiver’s email box. This paper reports our research as part of an effort to realize such a system and focuses on recognition of the handwritten recipient’s on fax cover pages. We propose hybrid neural networks for large scale Chinese handwritten character recognition. The network is composed of the self-organizing competitive fuzzy layer and the multi-layer neural network using BP method, connected in cascade. The characteristic features of this network structure for Chinese handwritten character recognition are discussed and performances are evaluated on 8208 real world faxes which are taken from one company in 2004, the results of experiments compared to standard neural solutions based on MLP show that the whole system is of reasonable structure and satisfactory performance.
KeywordsChinese Character Recognition Module Subtractive Cluster Handwritten Character Hybrid Neural Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jenchyou, L., Srihari, S.N.: Location of Name and Address on Fax Cover Pages. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 756–759 (1995)Google Scholar
- Likforman-Sulem, L.: Name Block Location in Facsimile Images Using Spatial/Visual Cues. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 680–684 (2001)Google Scholar
- Azzabou, N., Likforman-Sulem, L.: Neural Network-Based Proper Names Extraction in Fax Images. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 421–424 (2004)Google Scholar
- Alam, H., et al.: FaxAssist: An Automatic Routing of Unconstrained Fax to Email Location. In: IS&T/SPIE Conference on Document Recognition and Retrieval, San José, pp. 148–156 (2000)Google Scholar
- Likforman-Sulem, L., Vaillant, P., Yvon, F.: Proper Names Extraction from Fax Images Combining Textual and Image Features. In: Proceedings of Seventh International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 545–549 (2003)Google Scholar
- Jang, J.S., Sun, C.T., Mizutani, E.: Neuro-Fuzzy and Soft Computing. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1997)Google Scholar
- Pal, N., Bezdek, J.C., Tsao, E.C.: Generalized Clustering Networks and Kohonen Self-organizing Scheme. IEEE Trans. Neural Networks 4 (1993)Google Scholar