Music Genre Classification Using a Time-Delay Neural Network
A method is proposed for classifying music genre for audio retrieval systems using time-delay neural networks. The proposed classification method considers eight types of music genre: Blues, Country, Hard Core, Hard Rock, Jazz, R&B(Soul), Techno, and Trash Metal. The melody between bars in the music is used to distinguish the different genres. The melody pattern is extracted based on the sound of a snare drum, which is used to effectively represent the rhythm periodicity. Classification is based on a time-delay neural network that uses a Fourier transformed vector of the melody as an input pattern. This classification method was used to analyze 80 training data from ten different musical pieces for each genre and a further 40 test data from five additional musical pieces for each genre. The accuracy of the genre classifications that were obtained for the two sets of data was 92.5% and 60%, respectively.
KeywordsHide Layer Training Pattern Audio Data Musical Piece Spatial Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kosugi, N., Nishihara, Y., Kon’ya, S., Yamamuro, M., Kushima, K.: Music by Humming Using Similarity Retrieval over High Dimensional Feature Vector Space. In: IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computer and Signal Processing, pp. 404–407 (1999)Google Scholar
- Blackburn, S., DeRoure, D.: A Tool for Content-based Navigation of Music. Proceeding of the ACM Multimedia, 361–368 (1998)Google Scholar
- Liu, C.C., Hsu, J.L., Chen, A.L.P.: An Approximate String Matching Algorithm for Content-based Music Data Retrieval. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, vol. 1, pp. 451–456 (1999)Google Scholar
- Pachet, F., Roy, P., Cazaly, D.: A Combinatorial Approach to Content-based Music Selection. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, vol. 1, pp. 457–462 (1999)Google Scholar
- Logan, B.: Mel Frequency Cepstral Coefficients for Music Modeling. In: International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval (2000)Google Scholar