Manifold Learning of Vector Fields
In this paper, vector field learning is proposed as a new application of manifold learning to vector field. We also provide a learning framework to extract significant features from vector data. Vector data containing position, direction and magnitude information is different from common point data only containing position information. The algorithm of locally linear embedding (LLE) is extended to deal with vector data. The learning ability of the extended version has been tested on synthetic data sets and experimental results demonstrate that the method is very helpful and promising. Manifold features of vector data obtained by learning methods can be used for next work such as classification, clustering, visualization, or segmentation of vectors.
KeywordsVector Data Locally Linear Embedding Manifold Learn Discrete Vector Magnitude Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Telea, A.C., Wijk, J.J.V.: Simplified representation of vector fields. In: Ebert, D., Gross, M., Hamann, B. (eds.) Proc. of IEEE Visualization 1999, pp. 35–42 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Heckel, B., Weber, G., Hamann, B., Joy, K.I.: Construction of vector field hierarchies. In: Proc. of IEEE Visualization 1999, pp. 19–25 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Garcke, H., Preusser, T., Rumpf, M., Telea, A., Weikard, U., Wijk, J.J.V.: A phase field model for continuous clustering on vector fields. IEEE Trans. Visualization and Computer Graphics, 230–241 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, J.L., Bai, Z., Hamann, B., Ligocki, T.J.: A normalized-cut algorithm for hierachical vector field data segmentation. In: Proc. of Visualization and Data Analysis 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, H., Chen, W., Shen, I.F.: Segmentation of discrete vector fields. IEEE Transaction on Visualization and Computer Graphics (2006) (to appear)Google Scholar