Stochastic Resonance Enhancing Detectability of Weak Signal by Neuronal Networks Model for Receiver
Stochastic resonance phenomenon in a biological sensory system has been studied through signal detection theories and psychophysical experiments. There is a conflict between the real experiments and the traditional signal detection theory for stochastic resonance because the latter treats the receiver as linear model. This paper presents a two-layer summing network of Hodgkin-Huxley (HH) neurons and a summing network of threshold devices to model the receiver, respectively. The simulation results indicate that the relevant index of signal detectability exhibit the stochastic resonance characteristics.
KeywordsStochastic Resonance Power Spectrum Density Psychophysical Experiment Spike Sequence Stochastic Resonance Phenomenon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Pei, X., Bachmann, K., Moss, F.: The Detection Threshold, Noise and Stochastic Resonance in the Fitzhugh-Nagumo Neuron Model. Phys. Lett., 61–65 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Russell, D.F., Tucker, A., Wettring, B.: Noise Effects on the Electrosense- mediated Feeding Behavior of Small Paddlefish. Fluct. Noise Lett. 86, L71–L86 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Gong, Y.F., Marrhews, N., Qian, N.: Model for Stochastic-resonance-type Behavior in Sensory Perception. Phy. Rew. 65, 319041–319045 (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Macmillan, N.A., Creelman, C.D.: Detection Theory: a User’s Guide. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1991)Google Scholar
- 15.Manjarrez, E., Rojas-Piloni, G., Méndez, I.: Stochastic Resonance with the Somatosensory System: Effects of Noise on Evoked Field Potentials Elicited by Tactile Stimuli. Journal of Neuroscience 23, 1997–2001 (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Hodgkin, A., Huxley, A.: A Quantitative Description of Membrane Current and its Application to Conduction and Excitation in Nerve. J. Physiol. 117, 500–544 (1952)Google Scholar
- 17.Coren, S., Ward, L.M., Enns, J.: Sensation and perception, 5th edn. Harcourt, San Diego (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Green, D.M., Swets, J.A.: Signal Detection Theory and Psychophysics. Krieger, Huntington (1966)Google Scholar
- 19.Koch, C., Segev, I.: Methods in Neuronal Modeling: From Ions to Networks, 2nd edn., pp. 98–100. MIT Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar