Dynamic Time-Threshold Based Scheme for Voice Calls in Cellular Networks
This paper presents a dynamic bandwidth allocation scheme for new and handoff voice calls in cellular networks. The main idea of the new scheme is based on monitoring the elapsed real time of handoff calls and according to both a time threshold (t e ) and a dynamically changing bandwidth threshold (B t ) parameters, a handoff call is either prioritized or treated as a new call. Also in this paper, we introduce a crucial general performance metric Z that can be used to measure the performance of different bandwidth allocation schemes and compare them. Z, which is a performance/cost ratio, is a function of the new call blocking probability, handoff call dropping probability and system utilization all together. The results indicate that our scheme outperforms other traditional schemes in terms of performance/cost ratio, and maintains its superiority under different network circumstances.
KeywordsCellular Network Bandwidth Allocation Call Admission Control Time Threshold Handoff Call
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kuo, G.S., Ko, P.C.: A Probabilistic Resource Estimation and Semi-Reservation Scheme for Flow-Oriented Multimedia Wireless Networks. IEEE Communications Magazine 39, 135–141 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Xu, Z., Ye, Z., Krishnamurthy, S.V., Tripathi, S.K., Molle, M.: A New Adaptive Channel Reservation Scheme for Handoff Calls in Wireless Cellular Networks. In: Proc. of NETWORKING 2002, Technical Committee “Communications Systems” of International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP-TC6), pp. 672–684 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Chou, C., Shin, K.G.: Analysis of Adaptive Bandwidth Allocation in Wireless Networks with Multilevel Degradable Quality of Service. IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing 3(1) (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Chou, C., Shin, K.G.: Analysis of Combined Adaptive Bandwidth Allocation and Admission Control in Wireless Networks. In: Proc. IEEE Infocom, NewYork (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Lee, K., Kim, S.: Optimization for Adaptive Bandwidth Reservation in Wireless Multimedia Networks. The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking 38, 631–643 (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Olivre, A.: Call Admission Control and Dynamic Pricing in a GSM/GPRS Cellular Network, a dissertation submitted to University of Dublin (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Salamah, M., Candan, I.: A Novel Bandwidth Allocation Strategy for Voice Handoff Calls in Cellular Networks. In: Proc. of the 9th CDMA International Conference, p. 381 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.PTOLEMY simulation package: http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/
- 19.ETSI Standard ETR 310, Radio Equipment and Systems; Digital Enhanced Cordless Tele-communications, Traffic Capacity and Spectrum Requirements (1996)Google Scholar